This morning I walked out of my apartment to a line of trailers, a full lighting crew, and racks of (probably really expensive) clothing and accessories all along 72nd Street. My street. A bit annoyed, i headed to the bus stop to wait for the crosstown bus.
Upon arriving to work, trucks, party vans, and a huge red carpet filled 65th Street. Right in front of my office. I scoffed and quickly walked into Juilliard.
As I sat at my desk to start the day, I wondered how many New Yorkers walk by movie sets, TV shows that are filming on the streets of the city, red carpet events, etc. and just pass them by. In our bubbles, on our way to wherever we're in a hurry to go, we just miss these interesting happenings. We don't think about the dreams that are coming true just feet away from us.
Have I become a jaded New Yorker? Am I just busy and can't be bothered? Am I immune to the glitter and smoke of the industry?
I think it's that I've become a true New Yorker - used to amazing things happening all over the place. Dreams come true every day. And while I might stop by a red carpet event to peer at the stars or take an extra long time waiting for a light to change to watch a movie being filled, I will try my hardest not to look like a cheesy tourist. Not to get sucked into the crush of people milling around the streets. I wouldn't want to give myself away.
No comments:
Post a Comment