
I've tried my hand at online dating for quite some time but I have to say that PlentyOfFish was by far the creepiest site I've ever put a profile on. This was the only site where I have received inappropriate messages (sexually explicit). In the short time that I tried this site I received: a message from a 52 year old asking about something inappropriate (hello grandpa), messages from not one but two 19-year-olds that just read "hi" (is this a new dating thing that I'm too old for?), two messages that just asked if I wanted to have sex (NO WAY!!!!), messages from a few Jersey-Shore-esque 20-somethings that contained words like "yo" and "hit it" (ick!), and a few random messages from dudes in other states.
I did "meet" one guy who seemed alright - cute, good job, and a non-creepy profile. We chatted via the IM function available on the site. The conversation went well and we exchanged numbers. The next day he texted me to set up a date and we planned to meet for real on Sunday afternoon. Fast forward to Sunday. I went for a run at noon and came back to a text from said dude. Apparently, he'd partied pretty hard the night before and was too hung over to keep our date. He asked if we could reschedule for the next day. Negative. If a dude can't even keep a Sunday afternoon first date, then how is he going to make a good first impression on the second date? There was already a cloud of negativity forming - He's not a guy I want to be in a relationship with.
While I'm sure there are many people who have success with PlentyOfFish, this is just not for me. Not only was the site itself difficult to navigate, but also the profiles were not easy to read and there was not much information about potential matches. I think this is probably the appropriate site for people who are not looking for a relationship.
On the plus side, this entire experience was free and I didn't waste much of my time.
8 comments:
Hi Toni! You should give the site OkCupid a shot. Maybe I have good luck, but that's how I met Bill and we're going strong after over a year!
Oh, and P.S....it's also free. WAYYYY less creepy than POF from what I've heard. Most of the guys on OkCupid are normal professionals, at least for the DC area.
Hey Meg!!! I met Dennis on OkCupid and I'm on it again :) I'm also on Match. No luck so far but I'm hopeful. It's always encouraging to hear success stories though!! And it's great to hear that you've met such a wonderful guy!
HAHAHA OkCupid has MUCH less creepy guys than PlentyOfFish!! BUT I tend to attract the crazies. I'm learning to be more picky :)
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! However, if you do meet someone I truly will miss reading all the stories of your wacky dates!! Where do these people come from?!
Thanks Meg! At first I thought it was an "I'm attracted to crazy dudes" thing but now I think it may be a New York City thing...there are a lot of wackos here!
I'll keep you posted :)
It's DEFINITELY a New York City thing because you are such an amazing, smart, and beautiful woman! I don't think you're attracted to the crazies - I think they crazies are attracted to you...
xoxo
AWWW Shucks Rebecca! You're making me blush :) xoxo
Post a Comment