As I date online, I often find myself wondering what the appropriate age is for a potential long-term match for me. I usually like to date a guy who is a few years older for two main reasons - 1) older guys are more established career-wise and 2) most older guys have sewn their wild oats.
A year and a half ago, after a speed dating adventure, I had gone out with a potential match. He was very sweet and we shared a delicious meal at a Cuban restaurant with a fun band. The conversation was going great until we started talking about studying abroad. He mentioned that he had gotten extremely homesick during his trip to Spain. I asked if he had Skyped or e-mailed with his friends and family back in the States. He responded with a chuckle and informed me that those sorts of technology weren't so popular in 1992. 1992! In 1992, I was in the second grade learning basic division and thought boys had cooties.
While the date was fun and even though he was a super nice guy, I didn't hear form him again. It was clear that our age difference made a difference.
I don't like to have absolute opinions. (I absolutely won't date someone over [insert age here].) But I've got to draw the line somewhere. And it's got to be quite a few years before this guy:
Some people have it all figured out:
But I think I'll go by the "I know it when I see it" rule when it comes to the appropriate age for my potential long-term dude. Hey, it worked for the Supreme Court.



No comments:
Post a Comment