Friday, September 23, 2011

Location Location Location

About 3 years ago, I went out with the cutest architect. He spoke like a surfer and had great hair. We went on a few awesome dates.

On our last date we had dinner in Chelsea at a really awesome restaurant. After we left the restaurant, he asked if I'd be up for getting a drink and I agreed. He chose a nearby watering hole. It had a good crowd for a week night. We ordered our drinks and took seats at the bar. When the clock struck 10, the entire place turned into a gay dance club complete with half naked professional dancers, disco balls that dropped from the ceiling, and loud house music. I starting laughing. He was extremely embarrassed and looked uncomfortable. I admit, it was a bit awkward but nothing too outrageous. He downed his drink and I followed suit. We walked to the subway together and parted ways. I never heard from him again.


But it got me thinking - is the location of the date really that important? Isn't the company your with the most important part of the date? If this surfer architect can't handle a silly gay bar mishap, what other insecurities could be lurking underneath the surface? If he was worth my time, he would have brushed it off and had a nice laugh.

Dating is not all walks on the beach and picnics in the park. But when things go south, the only thing to do is laugh it off.

No comments: