Alex and I have started a Valentine's Day tradition of going on a ski trip instead of planning a romantic evening. With our wedding in October and a big trip coming up in March, I was nervous that we wouldn't get any time on the slopes this year. After a bit of spontaneous planning (aka when 2 type-A personalities are in one relationship), we booked a last-minute ski trip to Stowe over President's Day weekend.
In Vermont, we unplugged. We only opened the laptop we brought with us once. We ate at A Single Pebble and Michael's on the Hill. We skiied the mountains at the resort all weekend with blue skies and spring-like weather. I took ski clinics to get more comfortable on the terrain. I even started learning how to conquer moguls! I can confidently ski down greens and blues and I could tackle the blacks but I'm a cautious gal. It just felt really wonderful to get away for a bit.
Being in Vermont always makes me think of my dad. He went to camp and college in Vermont. He always spoke of Vermont with such nostalgia and enthusiasm. It makes me feel connected to him when we visit the mountains.
Grief is never gone. It's a sad accessory that I'll be carrying around for the rest of my life. But it's not overwhelming like it was at first. I'm no longer carting around an over-sized rolling duffel of emotional sorrow. Now it's more like a crossbody clutch. Yes, it's there and of course I notice it, but it's not weighing me down. I can sling it on my shoulder, put on my brave face, and keep moving forward. I feel so much stronger emotionally than I used to. At first, it was easy for me to hide within myself. But instead of stowing myself away in my room, I choose to Stowe away to Vermont for a ski trip.
It's easy to be sad and angry and give in to negativity. It's so much harder to be positive and happy. But I choose happiness every time.


No comments:
Post a Comment