Monday, November 17, 2008

Growing up

So... I'm a complete blog slacker. BUT in my defense I've been super busy with school, work, orchestra, and now ushering on the side (which is the coolest part-time job ever -- I get paid to watch operas, drama productions, ballets, etc.). Living in NYC has been an adventure so far. I've been exploring the bar scene, restaurants, my neighborhood, museums, and parks. I absolutely LOVE city life - there's always so much to do and so many places to visit.

This past weekend two of my close friends from high school came for a visit and it was so great to see them after 5 years. So much time has passed but it was nice to see that the three of us all stayed true to ourselves. When we were together, it felt like no time had passed since the last time we were all together (which I think was Kristine's high school graduation party). Having all started at the same place, it was interesting to see the paths each of us took to get to where we are now. We relearned about each others lives, had some drinks, reminisced about old times and old friends, talked about people we used to know and how much they have changed over the years. Some of the people we used to call our best friends have become strangers, others have moved far away and lost touch. It was wonderful to see how well my old friends were doing. At the end of the night we promised to never let that much time pass between visits again.

As we get older, the years fly by so much faster. I can't believe it's already been 5 years since high school graduation and that I'm an adult in the real world. I'm busier than ever with more responsibilities. I've grown up, my dreams and goals have changed and I've changed too. Growing up is both terrifying and a lot of fun. I'm sure this is probably true for everyone. It was great to catch up with old friends who know where I have been. They hold a piece of my past and have shaped who I am. Even though we're all going through different experiences, it's nice to know that our memories will always remain the same.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

"We are friends for life. When we're together the years fall away. Isn't that what matters? To have someone who can remember with you? Tohave someone who remembers how far you've come?

Miss you every day! <3