
Last winter, I met a guy online who is a gentleman - nice, fun, took me out on really great dates, and normal. He has a great job and a great education. For once, I wasn't dating a crazy. It felt wonderful. We went out on our 5th date and he walked me to my door.
I invited him up for coffee (that's a big step - I never let dudes into my apartment). I put the coffee on and we sat on my futon and watched some TV. He leaned in for a kiss and that's when I saw it - a bead of sweat dripping from the side of his face. His neck was also all sweaty. The collar of his shirt had sweat stains on it too. Ew!
I tried to put it out of my mind. I thought to myself - he's a nice guy, suck it up and give him a chance. But I couldn't stop thinking about it...Did he not notice that he was sweating? Why was he not wiping his sweaty face? If he's nervous after 5 dates with me, maybe he has an anxiety problem and that causes profuse sweating in situations that trigger his nerves? Does he always sweat like this? How have I not noticed this before? It's definitely not hot in here so maybe he has a glandular problem? I wonder if any of his sweat droplets dripped onto me? How can I tactfully check for man-sweat splashes on this black sweater dress?
The mood was completely killed.
So I turned on Saturday Night Live and we drank our coffee and talked until we'd drained our cups. Then I announced that I was tired and he took the cue to leave.
He called days later to ask me out on a sixth date but I declined politely and told him I wasn't interested. He took it very poorly asking what went wrong...so made up an excuse about an old boyfriend that I still had feelings for and that satisfied him. I didn't have the heart to tell him that his perspiration killed my admiration.
No comments:
Post a Comment