Monday, June 13, 2011

Magic

I met this guy on match.com. He took me out for sushi. The conversation was great. He has a great job, a great apartment, a great relationship with his family. He was dressed nicely and very polite. A total gentleman. He asked tons of questions about my life and tried to get an overview of who I am and what I'm most passionate about. He was everything I should want in a guy. We laughed and listened to each other. He was attentive and didn't order any alcohol. He walked me to my door. He was even cuter in person. But something was missing.

There was no spark, no tingling feelings in my stomach. I didn't want to kiss him good night and I wasn't excited to see him again. There was no magic. Usually I'm apt to give people many chances (which may be the reason why I end up finding out that my new guy is a nut job on the fifth date). But I don't think that's fair to myself or to my date.

The first date sets the stage for the rest of a relationship and if a guy can't give me even the tiniest spark of magic in our first few hours together, is there really a chance for there to be fireworks later?


Maybe. But I guess I'm just not willing to accept that for myself. I need to feel something more than that. I need to feel like there is the possibility of something special. I guess I need some kind of...something.

I thought back to that Sex and the City quote - "Some people are settling down, some people are settling, and some people refuse to settle for anything less than butterflies..."

I guess I'm still waiting to find mine.

1 comment:

Mony said...

Never settle, Dude. I think maybe tastes change over time and we discover we have different "wants" after a certain point, and if we adjust the glasses through which we view people then, fine. But I'm with you; no chemistry is nature's way of saying, "This one's not for you, babe."