Thursday, June 16, 2011

Running on Empty

I went on a date with a cute, tall, attorney. We met online and he took me to central park.... for a run. Now, at first I wasn't so happy about this. A run? Really? You want to see me get sweaty and disgusting on our very first meeting? But on second thought I said to myself - this guy is super creative and he's obviously not self-conscious. I'm going to give it a shot.


So I met him on a very warm Saturday morning and we got started with a quarter mile walk warm-up. Then we took off. We ran about 2 miles and although I tried to blot my glisten (let's call it that instead of profuse sweating), I was pretty shiny. I asked if we could stop for some water. He reluctantly agreed. So I pulled over and I bought myself a cold bottle of Poland Spring which I immediately touched to my neck and wrists to try to stop myself from sweating. He seemed annoyed by my rest but he humored me anyway. While I was a bit taken aback by his unwillingness to accommodate me, I was already there and decided to stick it out.

We took a break and sat on a bench for a bit to listen to some street musicians performing. It was a nice break but I was so icky and I felt so un-sexy that I could barely look at him. My make-up was completely melted off of my face, my shirt was moist, my hair was in a pony-tail, and I wasn't smelling like my usual perfume scented self.

After a 15 minute rest, we continued our run....we ran for a few more miles without a break. At the end of our run, I was exhausted. We were at the bottom of the park and began to walk east. He asked if I would accompany him on a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond to buy an air conditioner for his new apartment. It was on the way home for me so I said sure.

We ran the errand and it felt AMAZING to be in the cold, breezy air of BB&B. He bought me a water and walked me to my door. Neither of us went in for the hug since we were so gross but we gave a quick, smile to each other and he told me he looked forward to seeing me again soon. Success!

The next day, I received a text from him asking if I would like to test out his new AC and watch a movie in his apartment...that was WAY too forward for me. I don't go to a boy's apartment right off the bat! What kind of girl does he think I am? PLUS was he really going to not spend any money on me or take me out on a date?

We exchanged texts for the next week until he politely closed the loop with me by letting me know he had met someone else. Although I give this dude points for creativity, I don't think I'll be starting out any future dating adventure with a run.

No comments: