Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Little Piece of Youth

I made a huge decision last weekend - I took out my bellybutton ring.
I remember negotiating with my dad when I was 15. The deal: If I passed my Advanced Chemistry Final with a 90 or better, he would allow me to get my naval pierced. When I received my report card with a solid 98, I went with my mom to a local tattoo parlor and headed back to the piercing station. I picked out a cute pink ring (which I have worn since that epic day). Although the procedure itself was painful, and even though I couldn't sit down for a week, it was totally worth it. I showed off my naval piercing that summer at every chance I got. I wore cut off shirts and bikini tops. I felt rebellious and young and hot. And this piercing was totally removable.
Cut to 12 years later - my naval piercing is constantly getting caught on my tights/stockings and buttons of high waisted pants. I'm indoors for most of my summers with so few opportunities to show off my belly ring and I wouldn't wear a cut off shirt if you paid me. I went in for a research study and was embarrassed to admit to the technician that I had to remove a body piercing before I could continue. A close girlfriend had gotten me a very awesome fashion guide in preparation for my trip to Paris. Apparently, naval piercings are a serious fashion faux pas. It was time for me to grow up and take out this symbol of my youth.

I slipped off the naval ring on whim. I hadn't seen my naked belly in 12 years. It wasn't so scary or traumatizing. In fact, I felt kind of liberated. I no longer had this silly trinket clinging to my midriff. I felt mature and grown-up. Alex told me how beautiful my bellybutton looks with nothing in it. When I went to screw the top back on to the hook of the ring, it fell on the floor and disappeared. And I took that as a sign. It was time for another step toward adulthood.

Here's to being a responsible adult who gets stuff done!
...or something.

3 comments:

Mony said...

Now, I suffer from Momnesia, so take my next words with a grain of salt: how did we work together FOUR YEARS and I didn't know about your BB piercing?! :-)

I thought the pink was really cute!

Toni said...

My one rebellious teenage moment lol I always assumed everyone knew about it...But I guess I always wore work-appropriate clothing hehe

HAHA Thanks! And who knows? Maybe if I'm a grandma with a six-pack I'll get a new one ;)

Mony said...

Ohmigosh, you could take your grandkid with you and BOTH get them, make a day of it!!!!! ;-)