Friday, July 29, 2016

Jai Bhagwan

After a really tough year, I took myself on a yoga retreat to Kripalu. It was recommended by a friend who had been before and I decided to give it a go. I couldn't be happier I did!

Kripalu is nestled in the Berkshire mountains in Massachusetts right next to Tanglewood. My days were filled with activities: yoga classes, meditation clinics, hiking, kayaking, dancing. I also did my fair share of reading and relaxing. The meals were really great with lots of options. Breakfasts were silent but lunches and dinners were social. My room was perfectly adequate with a beautiful view of the mountains. It wasn't air-conditioned which was a little uncomfortable on 2 scorching nights. Bathrooms were down the hall, dorm-style, but that didn't matter much to me. Guests could opt into or out of whatever activities they like. I took advantage of as much as I could during my time there. The trip was just what I needed: calming and restorative but also invigorating. During a beautiful hike, we stumbled into a Tanglewood rehearsal and got to listen to the orchestra rehearse. That was such a magical moment for me. I ended my stay with a massage and my body certainly needed one after all the exercise I was doing that week. The whole experience felt a bit like summer camp for adult yogis.

What I have come to realize is that I require a significant amount of alone time. I love being around friends and family and I love socializing. I also love spending time with myself and unplugging from the world for a while. This retreat was just what I needed; it felt fabulous to refocus and breathe.

No comments: