MY MINDFUL YEAR - JANUARY
After our return from Australia, I started to feel blue. All of the exciting things we'd planned over the course of 2017 were behind us. And while I cherish the memories, somehow I felt myself longing for something exciting to look forward to instead of being content in the moment.
I'd also had a few minor setbacks at the start of the year. I was in physical therapy for a gnarly ankle sprain after falling down a slick flight of stairs at work. (Thanks Worker's Comp. Seriously - it was the most surprisingly easy process!) I missed my normal vigorous workout schedule and yoga practice. I couldn't take leisurely strolls through Central Park for a bit of fresh air because of the icy temperatures. Alex's work schedule got super busy after returning from nearly three weeks away and I took on a few additional orchestral gigs that came my way, so we weren't spending our normal quality time together. My normal routine was all out of whack.
In an effort to be more grateful for what I have and stop dwelling on the negative, I started a new habit: I now keep a small notebook on my desk at work and each morning I start my day by writing 3 things I'm thankful for. I've done this every day since returning from our honeymoon and I must say - I feel pretty great about it! And it usually takes under a minute to do.
Since I don't bring my notebook home for the weekend, on Fridays I challenge myself with a question like "how can I best take care of myself right now?" or "what's something nice I can do for another person this weekend?"
In theory it all sounds a bit cheesy. But in practice, it's made a huge impact on my attitude. Plus I think it will be fun in December to look back on a year of gratitude.

No comments:
Post a Comment