
I've never been a big poster of content on social media, but I do tend to be a big consumer of it. I fall for the click bait. I scroll through Newsfeeds. I "thumbs up" the vacation photo albums and "angry face" the enraging status updates. I click my way down the rabbit hole.
But one night, while aimlessly "social media-ing" for 45 minutes, I realized this habit was actually not good for my health. It kept me from getting to sleep at a normal hour. It made me feel sad, like I was missing out on so many fabulous things. #FOMO. It made me feel like I wasn't good enough.
While I do realize that the life people portray on social media is a curated one, it's hard for me not to compare my own real life to these seemingly perfect ones and not feel like I'm falling short. And next to the models making cakes they never eat and the Photoshop edited celebrities in exotic locations and the fancy shops advertising products outside of my budget, how could I possibly feel like I was living my best life?
So I decided to limit my consumption. I've un-followed accounts that make me cringe or feel bad about myself. I've taken the Snapchat and Facebook apps off of my iPhone and iPad. I leave my phone in my nightstand drawer when it's time for bed.
I still post on occasion via Instagram and I'll most likely continue to...unless I come to find that unfulfilling too. I check my Instagram account on my phone...but only after work. And I log into Facebook to get my fix of what's going on in that world...but never on the weekends.
A few simple rules have made a big difference. And I'm much happier as a result!
No comments:
Post a Comment