Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oh Hanukkah Oh Hanukkah come light the menorah

This year I'd forgotten all about Hanukkah. Between school and work and orchestra gigs, celebrating the festival of lights fell off of my radar. Last night after a hard day of work (the application deadline was yesterday) and after a really interesting but long class (we ran over by about 15 minutes), I was wiped. I looked at my planner and realized it was the first night of Hanukkah and my heart dropped.

Since I didn't want the night to be a total wash, I decided to be productive. I sat down to do some school work when I heard a key in my door. There was Dennis with a beautiful menorah, Hanukkah candles, gelt, and a present. Dennis's aunt and uncle sent a care package to Dennis with all of the trimmings for an awesome Hanukkah - complete with a banner and blue stockings full of goodies.

What a wonderful Hanukkah surprise!

We lit the candles and I said all of the prayers. I opened my present - a beautiful coach purse. As we watched the candles burn out, we chatted about holiday family traditions and ate some gelt. I was extremely touched that Dennis's family did something so incredibly nice for me. This was Dennis's first time celebrating Hanukkah and it was so special. I know we'll both never forget it.

No comments: