Saturday, February 11, 2012

Four Eyes


A few weeks ago I realized I hadn't read a book in 7 months. My mascara was constantly running down my face. I got crazy awful headaches at work. By the end of the day, I was dizzy and nauceous. When my boyfriend and I are cuddled up on the couch, I tended to back away so that I could see him better.

I thought to myself: "I don't need any help seeing. My eyes are just fine. Maybe they're just tired from years of studying hard and hitting the books. Yeah, that's it. They're tired. They'll be better after [insert lame excuse here]. I mean...only old people wear glasses and I'm not old. I just need to take a large step back from the counter to read this packet of oatmeal. That's totally normal, right?"

Wrong.

Reluctantly, I headed to the eye doctor for an exam. Turns out, I'm far sighted. (That means things far away look crystal clear but things up close are a big blurry mess). I knew what was coming. After all, I had waited 7 months to get my eyes checked because of my fear of the eye doctor. After a series of tests in a bunch of very large machines, I went into the dreaded eye exam room.

The eye doctor was extremely kind and gentle with my eyes. She explained that my right eye was way worse than my left and that I have an astigmatism. A stylist worked with me to find the right frames for my face and coloring. I ended up with these.

I need to wear glasses while I do anything up close - reading, on the computer, etc.

So the moral of the story is, I'm getting older, I need some help to see things up close, I wear fabulous glasses, and I'm still the same awesome me I was before...only now I can see!

4 comments:

Mony said...

Those are really pretty frames! (And they've got the "T" on them, for "Toni!") ;-)

PS: I can't believe you have read anything for 7 months - you were such an avid reader!

Toni said...

Thanks Mony!! The T's are my favorite part :)

(I know - I've really missed reading! After I got my glasses I downloaded a bunch of new books on my Kindle and I can't wait to dig in.)

Meg said...

Cute glasses! Also, I've worn glasses or contacts since the 3rd grade and a) life still goes on and b) (I like to think) that I'm not old - so neither are you!! :)

Toni said...

Thanks for the pep talk :) You're definitely not old!!(so I guess that means I'm not either!)